All Things Colbry

All Things Colbry
All the Colbry's

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

TAXI

We are in Beijing. 4 Colbrys and 6 pieces of luggage. When made the reservation the website said there was a free airport shuttle. So I only have 350 RMB. About $50. Well we couldn't find a shuttle. We were told there is "no shuttle" and then offered a ride for 380 RMB. I don't have that much. So we get in line for a taxi. We will have to take 2 she says. We figured that with all our luggage. A in dark clothes smoking a cigarette with a large van with taxi on top offers us a ride. I ask how much. He says "meter". We figure it will probably equal 2 taxis so we say yes. Load the luggage and settle in. THEN. He hands me a card. 850-1200 RMB to get downtown!!
We got out of the van....back in the taxi line.
Should we go exchange some money.? Seth and I are discussing it. Then another taxi driver who obviously saw the previous transaction offers us a ride in his Hyundai taxi. For 350RMB.
So, 3 large bags fit in the trunk, one is at Seth's feet with his seat pushed back as far as it will go. Which is ino my foot space, which is where my carry on is so my feet are up by sets shoulder. Eli had his carry on balancing on his head and the back window so the driver chuckled and put it on top of seths carry on between him and Seth. Jacks bag is at his feet with his legs spread eagle into Eli's whose are speed eagle with his backpack between them....
It's only an hour ride without the traffic jam we are in...Thank goodness I used the bathroom before we left the airport. You could actually choose between a squatty potty or a seat. I haven't
seen a toilet with a seat outside of our hotels in 2.5 weeks And there was toilet paper. In the stalls.
The driver is playing american music. Sarah Mcglaughin "surrender"...how appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment